The BC U18 Championships shall be an open girls’ and open boys’ event in Richmond from December 27th- December 31st, 2022. The format will be a triple knockout preliminary round and the playoff format will be based upon the total number of entries (see chart under rule 8H of the 2023 Curl BC General Rules). Games will be 8 ends in length. The successful boys’ and girls’ teams will represent BC at the 2023 U18 Nationals, February 5-11th, 2023 in Timmons, Ontario.
• Each player entering the U18 competition shall be 17 years of age or less on June 30, 2022.
• If a game is tied after the eight ends allotted, the teams shall play extra ends until a winner is declared.
• During an eight-end game, a mandatory break of five minutes shall take place at the conclusion of the fourth end.
• Teams may designate a fifth player for BC Competitions. Fifth players are permitted at National events.
• All teams shall have a coach that meets the competition coach certification requirements
• The coach must have submitted a valid, current criminal record check with the Curl BC office, a minimum 2 weeks prior to the start of the event
• The coach shall follow and implement the “Rule of 2” when in the role of coach.
• The coach shall have completed the NCCP SafeSport Module through the NCCP Locker in the past 5 years.
• Fair Play Time-Outs are permitted.
• Members of teams, including coaches, shall refrain from the consumption of alcoholic beverages and marijuana at any time during a competition.
• Teams shall be in their accommodation by midnight, unless attending an official provincial championship function. The first violation of this curfew will result in a one game suspension to the player(s). The second violation will result in suspension from the remainder of the championship. The coach will be immediately notified by the Curl BC Championship Event Manager or Board Liaison of the disciplinary action, and further action man be taken by Curl BC following the event. A warning to this effect will be given within the team briefing.
• Seeding of teams for preliminary round will only be done for teams who made the playoffs in the 2022 BC U18 Championships and are returning with 3 of 5 players for the 2023 BC U18 Championships
• All other teams shall be seeded in preliminary round draw by double blind draw.