The BC Under 21 Championships shall be open entry women’s and men’s championships hosted by Duncan Curling Club. The event will run from January 24th-29th, 2023 with a triple knockout preliminary round format and a playoff format that is based upon the total number of entries (see chart under rule 8G of the 2023 Curl BC General Rules for an explanation of the playoff formats based on the open event field sizes). The successful teams will represent BC at the 2023 Under 21 National Championships, March 25th-April 2nd, 2023 in Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec.
• Each player shall be born on or after Jul 1, 2002
• Team may have one overage athlete (21 years of age or less on June 30, 2023)
• 10 end games will be played in this championship
• If a game is tied after the ten ends allotted, the teams shall play extra ends until a winner is declared.
• During a ten-end game, a mandatory break of five minutes shall take place at the conclusion of the fifth end.
• In televised and streamed games teams shall play a minimum of eight ends unless permission to concede is granted by the network/curl bc and the Chief Umpire.
• Teams may designate a fifth player for BC competitions. Fifth players are permitted at national events but at the team’s expense.
• All teams shall have a coach who meets the competition coach certification requirements
• The coach shall have submitted a valid, current criminal record check with the Curl BC office, a minimum 2 weeks prior to the start of the event
• The coach shall follow and implement the “Rule of 2” when in the role of coach.
• The Coach shall have completed the NCCP SafeSport Module through the NCCP Locker in the past 5 years.
• Fair Play Time-Outs are permitted at junior events.
• Members of junior teams, including coaches, shall refrain from the consumption of alcoholic beverages or marijuana at any time during a competition.
• Juniors shall be in their accommodation by midnight, unless attending an official provincial championship function. The first violation of this curfew will result in a one game suspension to the player(s). The second violation will result in suspension from the remainder of the championship. The coach will be immediately notified by the Curl BC Championship Event Manager or Board Liaison of the disciplinary action, and further action man be taken by Curl BC following the event.
• Seeding of teams for preliminary round will only be done for teams who made the playoffs in the 2022 BC U21 Championships and are returning with 3 of 5 players for the 2023 BC U21 Championships
• Teams will then be seeded based upon their standing on the BC Curling Tour as of December 1st, 2022.
• All other teams shall be seeded in preliminary round draw by double blind draw.